Anyone feel like sharing?

Info and News about GCS

Anyone feel like sharing?

Postby Scott Miller » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Apparently there have been some pretty major changes happening, all of which seem to be taking place behind closed doors.

First off, does GCS currently have a Corps Director, and who is it?

Who is on the GCS BoD?

Who is on the GCDCA BoD?

When does the general corps get to hear about any of the changes? In the past, the staff has always been pretty transparent about what was going on, what needed to be done, and plan of attack to make it all happen.
Scott Miller
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Re: Anyone feel like sharing?

Postby Jason Rose » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Scott Miller wrote:Apparently there have been some pretty major changes happening, all of which seem to be taking place behind closed doors.

First off, does GCS currently have a Corps Director, and who is it?
No. Corey resigned last December.

In effect, Brack is running the show.

Who is on the GCS BoD?
GCS BoD was dissolved several years ago due to lack of necessity and man power. It was only created to give us a fail-safe in the event that a rogue Board Member tried to hurt the Corps. When GCS members took over GCDCA, that was no longer an issue.

Who is on the GCDCA BoD?
Brack May
Jason Womack
Erick Allen

When does the general corps get to hear about any of the changes? In the past, the staff has always been pretty transparent about what was going on, what needed to be done, and plan of attack to make it all happen.

Transparency doesn't seem to be a priority right now. My advice is to NEVER FORGET that the CORPS IS THE MEMBERSHIP. It's more of a democracy than our country. If you aren't happy, make that fact known and get the answers to your questions. Membership is a choice.

-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Michele Rose » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm

I believe the by-laws require the board to have 5 to 7 members. So...how can they remove all other members besides themselves from the board? Besides being ethically wrong, it doesn't follow their own by-laws.
Michele Rose
Mellophone
Operations Manager
Gulf Coast Sound 2003-present
Michele Rose
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Corey Mark » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Deleted: My comments were never intended to be made public, as they could be taken out of context, thereby damaging the image of the Corps.
Last edited by Corey Mark on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Postby Corey Mark » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Deleted: My comments were never intended to be made public, as they could be taken out of context, thereby damaging the image of the Corps.
Last edited by Corey Mark on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Postby Corey Mark » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:56 am

Deleted: My comments were never intended to be made public.
Last edited by Corey Mark on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Postby Michele Rose » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:33 am

Corey Mark wrote:They ask to join the GCDCA Board and are approved by a vote of the existing Board members (three).

Incorrect. There were FOUR voting members that voted them on--a quorum of the 7 members the Board previously had. One of those members resigned after the vote.

Is this ethical? It depends on your opinion of what anybody's stake in the corps is and what they have been willing to DO to grow the corpsand get back onfield. Moot at best.

I don't think it's ever OK to treat someone the way they have, no matter how good they think their reasons are. I mean, he had already told them he was leaving soon. He just wanted to help them transition. This was NOT NECESSARY.

2013 will have been the FIFTH YEAR of the corps NOT competing, a longer period than it DID compete.

GCS competed in Mini Corps or Class A from 2002 to 2009. We were on the field for five years. The other years were Mini Corps and/or TCGC.
Michele Rose
Mellophone
Operations Manager
Gulf Coast Sound 2003-present
Michele Rose
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Jason Rose » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 am

I have moved this thread from the Back Room to a public forum so everyone can see.

----

I don’t think I’ve ever been referred to as “dead weight” in any part of my life. Not sure that characterization is fair. [Edit: this was in reference to a post that Corey has since deleted]

Look, I’m perfectly fine with how things have ended up. This is where I wanted to go. I need a long break and I believe I’ve EARNED it. My only issue is that I didn’t need to be stabbed in the back to get to this point. That was completely unnecessary and has permanently ended my involvement in GCS. What should have been a peaceful transition of power was turned into a real mess by Brack and Womack. I’m quite certain that Andy, Tom, and Corey played roles as well.

That being said, I still want nothing more than for GCS to grow and prosper. More than a decade of my life (and Michele’s) was poured into this organization. I desperately want it to survive. Brack, Womack, and Erick have unique skills and fresh energy that the Corps needs. I believe that with them at the helm there is a real chance for great things to happen. I have strongly recommended to Womack that someone be found ASAP that is deeply passionate about drum corps and has been involved in the activity for at least a decade. The Board needs someone with this perspective because the three current members simply do not understand drum corps, what it’s all about, and how to get one on the field. What they bring to the table is the administrative, marketing, and financial knowledge/experience that will prosper GCDCA and set the stage for the right person to take the Corps back into competition. These skills have been lacking since it was founded in 1991. So, the potential here is exciting and refreshing.

Corey, I agree that it’s sad that more of the GCS Vets haven’t stepped up to help. It’s extremely disheartening. However, this isn’t unique to GCS… or even drum corps. This is simply part of the human condition. I’ve seen the same thing happen in my church and other hobbies. Some/most organizations need a focal point. MY vision, MY passion for this activity, MY determination, and the ability to communicate these ideals, is what founded and drove GCS for 10 years. When that waned, the Corps suffered. I make no apologies for anything I’ve done (good or bad). I worked harder than anyone else and gave all that I had to make this happen. And, it DID happen. My vision was realized with the 2007 season. In hindsight, I should have stepped aside then. Regardless, I’m leaving now and it’s time for others to run this thing. And, it will take someone with that same passion and determination to take the Corps to the next chapter. I don’t know who that will be, though. I have yet to see anyone in the Corps that has what it takes. Perhaps if GCDCA is successful in raising capital, the right person will appear.

One last point, I plead with the new Board to NOT change the name of the Corps. I’ve been stabbed in the back… please don’t slap me in the face as well. Please carry on the traditions of GCS. It’s a proud heritage that many good people helped to establish.

Whatever the future holds for GCS, I will not be a part of it. I’ve done all that I could and now I’ll move on to other, less stressful, hobbies.

My deepest gratitude to Marc Sanders, David Breitwieser, David Bolzman, Tom Huntley, Corey Mark, Mike Predmore, Scott Miller, Stephen Araujo, David Ngo, Barb Wendt, and my incredible wife, Michele. Without their help, there wouldn’t have been a Corps at all.
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark Todd » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm

To be completely honest I have to say that I knew this day was coming eventually. Anytime you get as many people that are as passionate about an activity like drum corps together you are bound to run into some issues and some burnout. I think when Jenny and I bowed out 3 yrs ago with the birth of our first child we were at the point of burnout so I know I viewed it as perfect timing. I told Jenny at that point that there were probably a few other members who could stand to take a break for a year or two. I am almost convinced that had that happened then it would have helped make the organization stronger. But you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20.

I am thankful for the friends and memories that we have made with the corps and I hope that we can become involved again some day if there is still a corps around to be involved with. It is just not good for us right now with family commitments and issues that are going on. I would definitely like to have my boys exposed to the drum corp experience when they are old enough. I think back to some of the shows we had and wonder how things would have been different if we had been involved with LSC back in '06 and '07. I still think that the tropical storm in '06 kept a lot of folks from seeing a really good show and '07.....well what can you say. That was probably the best on field experience I have ever been involved in. I know the crowd definitely liked it even if the judges didnt. :)
Mark Todd
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Craig Zlatnik » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Being just an observer and not a member of any of the GCDCA corps , I will throw an opinion out there my outsider view.

To George ,,, makes me wonder what you say behind closed doors about the corps and the members. This is a private , must be approved . Memeber forum , Not DCP...For you to remove those comments... that would scare the hell out of me to wonder what you say behind the corps back...

Random thoughts and beliefs from what an outsider ...

BCB was a very active group of players that performed alot , Seems like they were in almost every parade in town and the surrounding area. They had a public image, Traveled out of state, cheap dues, and competed well with the other DCA class A corps at the time.They participated with the rodeo,Thanksgiving day parade , and marde gras galveston as well as the DCI Rice show . Now were they precison marchers ? You all of seen me march... how would I know....It just seemed like they were a great weekend / performing corps that appeared to have alot of fun doing what they do . Seemed like they had a solid group of returning musicians and people wanting to join .

GCS started out slow but grew to its peak in 2006-2007. Did not ever seem to have any local events (parades ) that the local non drumcorps people would see. In the peak they did TX preview, Rockmart, Brass hysteria, Anoter road show , Friends and family, Brass on the bayou, Christams music at the galleria , New orleans marde gras, DCI at the berry center , DCA prelims, DCA mini corps etc .. To the non member they appeared to be alot more hard core about there performance. But , not to the point that they would let less capable performers still attempt to compete. Since 2007 it seems like they have focussed to much on practicing and forgot about performing and Having fun for the General public. The publics perception in my opinion, is all that matters .

Everyone needs to say thank you to the hardworking directors that made both corps possible....Good luck in the future with what ever corps survives
Craig Zlatnik
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tom Huntley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Jason Rose wrote:I have moved this thread from the Back Room to a public forum so everyone can see.

----

I don’t think I’ve ever been referred to as “dead weight” in any part of my life. Not sure that characterization is fair. [Edit: this was in reference to a post that Corey has since deleted]

Look, I’m perfectly fine with how things have ended up. This is where I wanted to go. I need a long break and I believe I’ve EARNED it. My only issue is that I didn’t need to be stabbed in the back to get to this point. That was completely unnecessary and has permanently ended my involvement in GCS. What should have been a peaceful transition of power was turned into a real mess by Brack and Womack. I’m quite certain that Andy, Tom, and Corey played roles as well.

That being said, I still want nothing more than for GCS to grow and prosper. More than a decade of my life (and Michele’s) was poured into this organization. I desperately want it to survive. Brack, Womack, and Erick have unique skills and fresh energy that the Corps needs. I believe that with them at the helm there is a real chance for great things to happen. I have strongly recommended to Womack that someone be found ASAP that is deeply passionate about drum corps and has been involved in the activity for at least a decade. The Board needs someone with this perspective because the three current members simply do not understand drum corps, what it’s all about, and how to get one on the field. What they bring to the table is the administrative, marketing, and financial knowledge/experience that will prosper GCDCA and set the stage for the right person to take the Corps back into competition. These skills have been lacking since it was founded in 1991. So, the potential here is exciting and refreshing.

Corey, I agree that it’s sad that more of the GCS Vets haven’t stepped up to help. It’s extremely disheartening. However, this isn’t unique to GCS… or even drum corps. This is simply part of the human condition. I’ve seen the same thing happen in my church and other hobbies. Some/most organizations need a focal point. MY vision, MY passion for this activity, MY determination, and the ability to communicate these ideals, is what founded and drove GCS for 10 years. When that waned, the Corps suffered. I make no apologies for anything I’ve done (good or bad). I worked harder than anyone else and gave all that I had to make this happen. And, it DID happen. My vision was realized with the 2007 season. In hindsight, I should have stepped aside then. Regardless, I’m leaving now and it’s time for others to run this thing. And, it will take someone with that same passion and determination to take the Corps to the next chapter. I don’t know who that will be, though. I have yet to see anyone in the Corps that has what it takes. Perhaps if GCDCA is successful in raising capital, the right person will appear.

One last point, I plead with the new Board to NOT change the name of the Corps. I’ve been stabbed in the back… please don’t slap me in the face as well. Please carry on the traditions of GCS. It’s a proud heritage that many good people helped to establish.

Whatever the future holds for GCS, I will not be a part of it. I’ve done all that I could and now I’ll move on to other, less stressful, hobbies.

My deepest gratitude to Marc Sanders, David Breitwieser, David Bolzman, Tom Huntley, Corey Mark, Mike Predmore, Scott Miller, Stephen Araujo, David Ngo, Barb Wendt, and my incredible wife, Michele. Without their help, there wouldn’t have been a Corps at all.

I'm not really sure how I got thrown into this mix. I have had as much interaction with Scott at the Tomball LSC library as I have with the rest of the membership or staff. To say I have had a hand in in what s happening with GCS is to say the least, a mistake. I walked away on October 31st and have not looked back. I wish nothing best for all involved and hope everyone finds their own definition of happiness in everything they do.
Tom Huntley
Winning is not done on the field on the weekend,
Winning is done at home Monday through Friday
Tom Huntley
Vet
Vet

Postby Scott Miller » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 pm

I never did see any answers from the people responsible for the changes in the board, which I can only assume that means they either have no interest in sharing with the general membership any details, or they have no interest in this forum.

I thought it pretty ridiculous that our last performance included a star ceremony, where it was discussed how the star was a symbol of the corps and part of our uniform, and then we didn't even have a uniform to put it on.

I realize that the "back-up" unis went to Forte, including all of the bibbers (not easy to replace at ~$50 each) and that is why we couldn't wear our proper unis. While I sympathize with Forte's current predicament, it kinda rubs me the wrong way to see this: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/i ... -for-sale/

I'm still waiting to hear clarification on all the changes. Other than practices will resume in January, I have heard nothing else. Rumors abound, such as eminent name changes, disbanding, sponsors, new horns, etc.

It's very disheartening to hear murmurings of all these changes but nobody to clarify what is going on. For a group that seemed pretty hot to change the leadership of GCS, there is very little leading going on.
Scott Miller
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Craig Zlatnik » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:32 am

scott
So is Encorps the new deal or something completely different ? I guess if i was in you shoes I would be concerned about who has control of GCDCA funds and equipment. How does a board go from 7 to 3 overnight..Shouldnot that involve a bylaw change or something...Hell , you are the brass caption head and they did not tell you anything?
Craig Zlatnik
Rookie
Rookie

Return to GCS Stuff