A Message from the Director

News and Updates from the Corps Management Team

A Message from the Director

Postby Corey Mark » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 pm

To All GCS Members and Alumni,

We began the year with high hopes of again fielding a competitive drum corps for the summer of 2011. With changes in corps management, our announced partnership with Lone Star College-North Harris, and beginning with a nucleus of dedicated veteran members and supportive alumni, we felt that we had a solid chance of making our hopes a reality. Unfortunately, we did not reach our goal for the year largely due to our inability to achieve minimum membership numbers to be a sanctioned competitive field corps. There are many reasons for this, some known and some we can only speculate on. All drum corps rely on a myriad of factors both within and without to be successful. Certainly, many other programs in the all-ages drum corps movement across the country have suffered this year as well.

However, Gulf Coast Sound will continue to be an active organization moving into the future. Our infrastructure and financial well being remain intact. We will finish our summer as a brass and percussion ensemble performing locally. We will reassess and retool our organization for the coming years based on our current assets, relationships, and what we feel is achievable. We will actively pursue any opportunity to improve our organization. We remain fervent supporters of all entities offering life-long performance opportunities, which is the tacit purpose of all music education endeavors.

My gratitude goes out to those who have actively engaged themselves in our efforts. You all have my undying friendship and support. I hope that together we can continue to build GCS with a shared vision with which we all will remain proud to be associated.

In the near future we will announce plans for moving forward. In the meantime, we encourage you all to contact us with your thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticisms. The corps is its members.
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Return to Director's Corner