Announcement

News and Updates from the Corps Management Team

Announcement

Postby Corey Mark » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Today, we notified DCA of our decision to not field a competitive field corps. This decision was largely due to our inability to attract and retain a minimum number of members to be approved as a DCA Class A field corps.

However, GCS will continue its plans for the summer. Plans and options will be discussed with the membership during the scheduled June 11 camp which coincides with the start of the LSC-NH summer session.

All GCS alumni and friends are still encouraged to participate as we prepare for a summer of local/regional performances.
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Re: Announcement

Postby Jason Rose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 am

For what it's worth, I think Corey and Tom have made the right decision, despite how difficult it was.

I also believe that they have positioned the Corps to do VERY well in the coming years. We're financially stable, have a fantastic rehearsal facility, and we have the best instruction in the history of all the drum corps in Houston! We've also had some modest growth this season despite the economic conditions that put the Corps (and many many others) in this tenuous position. The work Tom and Corey have done is reason to be proud and they have my thanks.

Many other Corps have thrown in the towel, but GCS endures. This is testament to the dedication and tenacity of our membership and staff.

I believe that, with time, GCS will become the powerhouse Corps that we set out to become in the fall of 2001.

GCS!!!
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Corey Mark » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks, Jason. My only regret is that we couldn't do more for our incredibly loyal and talented core of members and staff. But, we're working on staying busy for the summer and beyond. Anybody and everybody is still encouraged to join for the summer.

Gee, kinda makes me want to find out what's next ;) ......
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Postby Tom Huntley » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks Jason,

We will continue down the path that will hopefully get us on the field at the Naval Academy next year. If not, it's always a pleasure spending time with my family every other weekend.
Tom Huntley
Winning is not done on the field on the weekend,
Winning is done at home Monday through Friday
Tom Huntley
Vet
Vet

Postby Jason Rose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Tom Huntley wrote:... it's always a pleasure spending time with my family every other weekend.

In my opinion, THAT is the most important element of drum corps. Everything else is just details.

*Disclaimer: The second most important element is G Bugles.
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Director's Corner