Section Caps Established

News and Updates from the Corps Management Team

Section Caps Established

Postby Corey Mark » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am

Due to the interest generated by our partnership with Lone Star College-North Harris, I thought I'd post this memo from Tom Huntley, GCS Field Director:

Corey,

In an effort to build cohesion in the sections, the instructional staff and I suggest that we cap the size of each section for the 2011 season. Every year we have members come in to the line late for whatever reason and try and learn the show with limited reps. This typically results in glaring visual and music errors during the shows.
We suggest the following caps placed on each section. People interested in joining the corps once the caps have been filled may rehearse with the corps in an alternate role. If spots open, alternates will be placed. The caps will be as follows:

Sopranos 10
Mellophones 6
Baritones 8
Euphoniums 4
Contrabass 6
Total Brass 34

Snares 6
Tenors 2
Bass Drums 5
Pit 5
Total Percussion 18

Total Guard 12

Total for the corps 64

Spots will be held for members that are current in their dues and participating in rehearsals and ALL performances. Positions with the corps will also be contingent on members participating in all fundraising activities as prescribed by the corps. Preliminary commitments from LSC students and others show that our numbers are filling nicely at this point.

Tom

If you have not notified Tom of your intention to march in 2011, I suggest that you do so very soon at field.director@gulfcoastsound.org.
Corey Mark
Vet
Vet

Re: Section Caps Established

Postby Jason Rose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 am

Let me add to what Corey and Tom are saying here, because I think this info is important.

Per Dr May, after just a few weeks of recruiting, there are:

- 7 of the 10 Sop spots filled
- 4 of the 6 Contra spots filled
- 6 of the 10 Bari/Euph spots filled
- 4 of the 5 Pit spots filled

(the other sections may be doing just as well, but these are what I remember him saying)

Of course, we have yet to get everyone in the same spot at the same time and a LOT of work is still to be done. Now is NOT the time to kick back and relax.

But... it is starting to happen.

Don't miss it.
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Director's Corner