Thank You All for a VERY Productive Weekend

News and Updates from the Corps Management Team

Thank You All for a VERY Productive Weekend

Postby Jason Rose » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

With only a few days notice we cancelled the first New Orleans trip, prepared for the biggest event in our history, RE-booked the Galveston Mardi Gras parade that we cancelled a few months ago, and performed both gigs in true GCS fashion.

THANK YOU to everyone that made this possible! This is the kind of teamwork and "esprit de Corps" that could take us into DCA Class A Finals... and beyond.

My very special thanks to Jereme and the Imperial Percussion Theatre. Jereme, please let your guys know that we all greatly appreciated you being there. And, we're all looking forward to April when we can get to know each better and build a MONSTER drum & bugle corps to dominate the southern region of DCA.

Another special thanks to Gustavo and Amanda for getting the Guard prepped in such a short amount of time. You guys are the foundation for the Guard I always wanted!!! You've got talent and dedication without undue emotional drama. Can't ask for more than that. You guys are AWESOME!!!

My contacts from Gov Perry's staff were very please with our performance. We've opened the door to future high-paying, high-profile gigs. This could be a big boost for the Corps not only financially, but the recruiting potential from the exposure could be HUGE.

Again, my thanks to everyone that helped make this weekend so successful.

----

This coming weekend a few brave souls will journey to New Orleans to raise the rest of the money we need to make the 2010 season work. PLEASE come with us if you are physically able. We need more people to go.

'Nuff said.

THANKS AGAIN!
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thank You All for a VERY Productive Weekend

Postby Scott Miller » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Big thanks to James for making the trek down, gnawed wiring and all! Same to Kris and LC (without the wiring part) - glad ya'll can still make gigs even though you won't be able to march the summer (or can you? hmmmm....)
Scott Miller
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Alex Schlueter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank you guard for all you have dun this past weekend for the corp. :D
Alex Schlueter
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby James Shatto » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for having me. Sorry that I couldn't be there earlier. I couldn't find my bibbers(still can't), plus those pesky rabbits. That map sensor has three wires. One red, one white, one teal (green/blue). They keep chewing the red and white ones to the ends of accessibility. While leaving the teal one untouched. I guess that I'm in the market for teal fingernail polish (and some barbed wire). 2nd time around (red replacement wire), and only one was gone, although the other slightly scarred. I guess I'm glad that I opted for a DIY fix, instead of aftermarket replacement (much cheaper that way).

Sorry that I'm not as versed as I used to be on mello. The last time that I had performed on said gear was 2005. Euph 2006 / Tuba 2007 / Trumpet 2008 / Tuba for like 2 camps 2009. Maybe 20 hours of horn to face time over the past year. Fortunately it is kind of like riding a bicycle (which I did till I was almost 21). Anyway, thanks for having me.
James Shatto
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Jason Rose » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 am

Thanks for being there, James. It's always nice to have vets return.

We could use you this weekend in NOLA if you want to go.
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Michele Rose » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:58 am

Jason Rose wrote:Thanks for being there, James. It's always nice to have vets return.

We could use you this weekend in NOLA if you want to go.

Yes...please! You'll get your mello chops back in no time! :D
Michele Rose
Mellophone
Operations Manager
Gulf Coast Sound 2003-present
Michele Rose
Rookie
Rookie

Postby James Shatto » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:34 pm

But the last time that I marched for 6 miles was January 1st, 1990. I was in the 101st Rose Parade, back when it was only 6.1 miles. The head haunch for the parade was a Marine, so the military band which is normally the lead unit (behind the boyscouts with the banner) was moved back next to him. So RCC found themselves the lead unit as well. Back when all age corps were far less common, and RCC was often referred to as the Blue Devils age out corps. Of course I was 19 back then and rode a bicycle for 100+ miles every week.

Anyway I am currently planning on making the trek. It'll be my first Mardi Gras in NOLA. And probably a decade later than I should have made such a trek. Having had several days off in NOLA in Jr. Corps. And swinging by in the off season and on my way back to Georgia from here after visiting relatives. I wonder if they still have that T-shirt. Shuck Me, Suck Me, Eat Me Raw --- louisianna oysters (or was it new orleans oysters). Back in 1987 the honor band I was with (pre-drumcorps) had a flight layover there for about 2 hours coming back from Florida. And a contingent made a trek.
James Shatto
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Return to Director's Corner