What does a guy have to do around here?

Fun Stuff, Random Stuff, Misc Stuff, whatever... but KEEP IT CLEAN!

What does a guy have to do around here?

Postby Mark Todd » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 pm

What does a guy have to do around here to get access to the back door?

So my laptop has died or something. Earlier today it wouldnt boot up and now when it tries to boot it goes to a blue screen that says something about Unmountable boot something or other. Which really sucks if my hard drive is dead because there were some pictures on there from Ireland and from Sean's birth, etc that I dont think were backed up anywhere else. I burned most of my Ireland stuff to CDs a while back but a lot of the other stuff is just uploaded on Facebook, etc. So while I was surfing using Jenny's computer I noticed that she has access to a part of this message board that I do not. The Back Door....or whatever its called. So....hook a brother up man!

On another note....I know Jenny has told 1 or 2 of you but I figured we may as well make an official announcement. We are expecting our 2nd child sometime around the end of May. Not sure of the sex yet. We have another visit with the doctor scheduled for December 27th that will hopefully give us a better view so to speak. This is really going to throw our status for this upcoming season into a state of flux. We are going to play it by ear and try to be around for as much as we can. For obvious reasons Jenny is out for any marching this next year. I would like to help out where I can with video and pictures for sure and we will see what else.

See you guys at Open House.
Mark Todd
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Re: What does a guy have to do around here?

Postby Scott Miller » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:57 pm

really? you post on HERE asking for back door access? I thought you knew us better than that!

Congrats you two on the upcoming bundle of joy!

I had a friend up north who had the same type of thing happen to her computer - similar/same message. She took it in to Office Depot for a free check-up and they told her it was a result of a virus. Best advice I can give would be to try to find a way to install your HD as a secondary drive in another computer and run a virus scan on it...but I don't know how you do that with a laptop HD. You might talk to Jason or Mike...if the HD is SATA, you should be able to plug it in no problem to just about any modern-ish desktop I'd think, but I don't know if laptop HDs use the same connectors as desktop HDs.
Scott Miller
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Jason Rose » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:25 am

CONGRATULATIONS on the baby. I'm happy for y'all.

"GCS: Breeding Our Way to Open Class"

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a "Back Room." But, if one did exist you would now have access to it and my apology for overlooking you.

Let me borrow the hard drive from your machine and I'll get all of the data off of it. As long as there are no physical problems I can do it pretty easily. Then it should be a matter of simply reloading Windows, re-installing your software, and copying your data back.
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark Todd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:33 pm

So do you want just the hard drive itself or the whole machine? I may be able to bring it to you Wednesday evening if we can make it to the concert but I think Jenny had plans to go see some of her old students who are having band and orchestra concerts that night. If not then I can bring it with me on Saturday.
Mark Todd
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Jason Rose » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Just need the hard drive. I'll pull the data off and put it on CD for you. Might take me several days. Busy week and weekend.
-----------------------
"There are stars in the southern sky..."

Jason Rose
<><

GCS Member 2001-2012 (Founding Director)

-GCS Corps Director 2001-2010
-Syracuse Brigadiers 2002 (Contrabass)
-Bayou City Blues 2000-2002
-U.S. Marine Corps 1996-2000-Forever
Jason Rose
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby James Shatto » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 pm

Linux is pretty good about ghosting an image of a drive. As long as the hardware still kind of works. And the remaining contents are usable. It's probably a good ideal to not use / try to use the drive until it can be ghosted. And some info on PATA or SATA hardware type would help. All of my laptop drives are PATA. I have a couple old ones that still work if you need one. 160GB for the largest of the unused ones. 60GB somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure where that one went. I make it a habit of swapping harddrives every year or two just because. But part of that is my venturing into video and audio editing that gives my drives quite a workout compared to most consumers. But to each their own. If the drive is PATA, it'll have some double row of pins that connected it to the laptop. In the neighborhood of 20x2 or 22x2 pins. If it's SATA, it'll be less analog looking. If it's > 320GB, it's probably SATA. If it's PATA, I can help you out. Although I'm not in the neighborhood anytime soon. If you pull the drive, you can stick something else in there and plug away without affected the not installed drive. 320GB PATA drive is like $100-ish at best buy. 500GB SATA drive is about the same. Or was six or so months ago.

Congrats on the kid(s).
James Shatto
Super Rookie
Super Rookie

Postby Jessica Guzman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Congrats on adding another member to the guard section ^_^
GCS Winterguard and Colorguard 2007
GCS Colorguard 2008, Captain
Jessica Guzman
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Other Stuff